Skip to content Skip to navigation

Man-made heritage

Cartledge Ridge and Furrow, Bradnop

The remains of mediaeval ridge and furrow ploughing system, to the south of Cartledge, Bradnop, identified on aerial photography.

Cauldon Lowe Quarries

The earthwork remains of a quarry, which appears to have gone out of use by the late 19th century.

Cauldon Parish Church

A listed late 18th century chapel, which has a chancel which incorporates earlier (probably 14th century) material. The extant church is of ashlar with a slate and tile roof. The earlier material indicates that there may have been a church on this site in the medieval period (possibly with an associated cemetery).

Cauldon Quarry

Cauldon Quarry has a long history of lime extraction over the last two centuries.

Cauldon, plateways
Changeover Bridge 52

The Caldon Canal opened in 1778 between Froghall and Etruria where it joined the Trent & Mersey Canal. Limestone, coal and materials from the Potteries were carried in narrow boats towed by horses.

When the railway was constructed in the 1840s, in order to provide space for the trackbed in the very narrow section of the valley, it was necessary to divert some sections of the canal between Froghall and Consall Forge. A new canal channel was dug closer to the steep-sided wooded valley and the towpath was also relocated to the side away from the railway.

Cheddleton Flint Mill
Cheddleton Station

Cheddleton Station is one of only three original Churnet Valley Stations to have survived demolition in the 1960s and 1970s (the other two being Rushton and Alton).  Built in 1849, the station was reputedly designed by Pugin. 

For more information on this popular destination please visit the entries for Churnet Valley Railway in our Attractions directory:

Cheddleton Weighbridge

Former Weighbridge Office used for Cheddleton Goods Yard, now utilised as the signing-on room for the Churnet Valley Railway staff.

Cherry Eye Bridge

The bridge is named after a condition of ironstone miners' eyes, from the redness caused by rubbing them with ore-stained hands. The Cherry Eye ironstone quarry site was near to this bridge.

The unusual shape of the bridge is thought to have been done for aesthetic reasons, to placate the local landowner when the canal was built.

Canal, Listed structure
Church of St Peter, Alton

A listed sone built church with a 12th century core, which was restored and enlarged in 1831 and extended between 1884-5 b J R Naylor. The church has a 13th century west tower, a late 14th century window and a 15th century font. There also survies the reains of a late 14th century wall painting depicting the story of the Three Quick and the Three Dead.