In 1837 the clerks and surveyor sumitted to the Trustees a report on the Cheadle turnpike roads. Among their recommendations was the sale of the existing toll house at Ipstones and erection of a house, gate and bar in place of an existing chain. This they argued would be a more convenient position. The recommendation was evidently adopted for there now stands a toll house at the top end of the village, where the road to Butterton Moor End is join by that to Foxt. the house.