Against the canalised River Churnet stands a bank of four large limekilns, dating from the early 19th Century. They were linked to a plateway built between 1815 and 1819 that ran from the Caldon Canal to north of Caverswall.
Coal was brought in on the plateway from a number of local collieries, whilst lime was carried to Weston Coyney and beyond. By 1840 the line was out of use, although it is unclear precisely when the kilns ceased operation.
After many years of neglect the kilns have been repaired and made safe. Three of the draw holes have been bricked up, however the right hand one remains open with a gate to limit access.
A lime kiln is a thermally insulated chamber (industrial oven) that produces temperatures sufficient for the calcination (a thermal treatment process with a limited supply of oxygen to bring about a thermal decomposition) of limestone (calcium carbonate) to produce the form of lime called quicklime (calcium oxide).