Bridge 70 is the only remaining intact original bridge on the Uttoxeter Canal.The bridge was built around 1809 and used as part of the navigable canal until 1849. Since closure the bridge had become hidden by increasingly dense woodland but continued to server a purpose as water still flows underneath it. Public footpaths 40 and 43 run over the bridge.
The bridge and adjacent section of canal towpath are now being improved as part of the Churnet Valley Living Landscape Partnership. Contact Caldon & Uttoxeter Canals Trust for more information about this project. CUCT and the Inland Waterways Association jointly run twice-monthly volunteer work parties in this area, as well as occasional larger scale volunteer events in association with the Waterway Recovery Group.
Restoration of the bridge and the adjacent section of canal has been undertaken as Churnet Valley Living Landscape Partnership project 7. Read more about this project on the CVLLP website.