The smelting mill is now much altered and is a private residence, but the former mill pond is a very popular place with walkers in National Trust's Dimmingsdale.
Lead smelting mill described as new in 1741 and converted to corn grinding in 1784. Single high breast water wheel and three pairs of stones.
A listed early 19th century bridge of ashlar construction. the bridge has a single arch over the river and two smaller arches either side.
Probably built for the Earls of Shrewsbury as a carriage bridge, now it is the footbridge that connects Dimmingsdale to the Churnet Way (Oakamoor to Denstone) ... and the Chained Oak.
A listed early 19th century (c1807) cast-iron mile plate set into a drystone wall on the former drive leading to Alton Towers from Threapwood Lodge. The mile plate gives the distance to Alton Abbey, the previous name for Alton Towers when lived in by the Shrewsbury family.
Our ref AL14/15
Owned by the Forestry Commission, Dimmingsdale is a very popular walking, riding and bouldering area.
The landscape of Dimmingsdale has been shaped by the 15th century smelting industry and later by the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury, who built Alton Towers.
Vehicle access and parking is along Red Road, next to the Ramblers Retreat tea room and gardens.
Walking, riding and cycling access is via Staffordshire Way and over Lords Bridge on Churnet Way (Oakamoor to Denstone via Alton station)
This is a series of fishing ponds thought to have been established in the late 18th or early 19th century.
This is a SSSI open access area.
Please add your photos of this place to the site.
Map location: SK05134316