The original construction of the plant was subject to delay as steel was still in short supply after the second world war. In total, 450 people were employed in its construction. The whole plant cost £3.5m to build and it was opened by the Rt Hon Hugh Molson in 1957. On 25th April 1957, the number one kiln was lit for the first time. In 1960 the second Lepol kiln was installed and this was followed in 1962 by the third Lepol kiln, giving the plant a capacity of 500,000 tonnes of cement per annum.