Skip to content Skip to navigation

Oakamoor

Oakamoor Park

Once the site of Thomas Bolton & Son copperworks, this green space is now an attractive riverside play area and picnic site with public access.

A mill has existed at Oakamoor since medieval times and there is a record it being owned by the Foley family in 1683. In 1761 George Kendal was the ironmaster and in 1790 Thomas Patten begins serious production. It was in 1851 that Thomas Bolton bought the site for £7750.

Lord's Bridge

A listed early 19th century bridge of ashlar construction. the bridge has a single arch over the river and two smaller arches either side.

Probably built for the Earls of Shrewsbury as a carriage bridge, now it is the footbridge that connects Dimmingsdale to the Churnet Way (Oakamoor to Denstone) ... and the Chained Oak.

SK06294322

Oakamoor Lime Kilns

Limestone was used to create lime in the North Staffordshire area (in other areas chalk was used). Lime was important in the manufacture of mortar and iron, as well as agriculture when it improves soil acidity and improves crop yields. Maps of 1844 show the kilns and connecting railways - it is possible to make out the railway spur that connected the Oakamoor kilns to the rail network.

Lime was created by burning limestone in limekilns to create quicklime, the dried to form a powder before being slaked with water.

Oakamoor Bridge

Look carefully at the stones used to build this Oakamoor bridge and you can still see the masons' marks. Each mason had his own mark that enabled him to be paid the piecework fee due.

Dimmingsdale

Owned by the Forestry Commission, Dimmingsdale is a very popular walking, riding and bouldering area.

The landscape of Dimmingsdale has been shaped by the 15th century smelting industry and later by the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury, who built Alton Towers.

Vehicle access and parking is along Red Road, next to the Ramblers Retreat tea room and gardens.

Walking, riding and cycling access is via Staffordshire Way and over Lords Bridge on Churnet Way (Oakamoor to Denstone via Alton station)

Dimmingsdale ponds

This is a series of fishing ponds thought to have been established in the late 18th or early 19th century. 

This is a SSSI open access area.

 

Please add your photos of this place to the site.

Map location: SK05134316

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Oakamoor