Skip to content Skip to navigation

Man-made heritage

Leekbrook Junction

Leek Brook Junction forms a 4-way junction less than a mile from Leek, once offering journeys in all four North / South / East / West directions. Built primarily as part of the North Staffordshire Railway Company's (NSR) Churnet Valley Line running North to South from Macclesfield to Uttoxeter that opened in 1849, it was joined from the West by a line from Stoke via Milton in 1867 followed by a line heading East to Waterhouses and Cauldon Lowe in 1905.

Lock 11, Caldon Canal

Lock 11 on the Caldon Canal. Access via the towpath.


Endon & Stanley
Longsdon Church

A II* listed early 20th century parish church by Gerald Horsley


Longsdon
Longsdon Grange, Longsdon

Listed semi-derelict stone farmhouse with date inscription of 1817. No public access.


Longsdon
Lord's Bridge

A listed early 19th century bridge of ashlar construction. the bridge has a single arch over the river and two smaller arches either side.

Probably built for the Earls of Shrewsbury as a carriage bridge, now it is the footbridge that connects Dimmingsdale to the Churnet Way (Oakamoor to Denstone) ... and the Chained Oak.

SK06294322


Alton, Dimmingsdale, Oakamoor, Shrewsbury
Lords Bridge railway bridge

The bridge over the Churnet Way, the disused railway line (and also line of the Uttoxeter canal) between Alton and Oakamoor.

See also Lord's Bridge the river section of the bridge next to it.


Dimmingsdale
Meerbrook Methodist Chapel

Grade II listed early 19th century stone chapel. Coursed and dressed rubble: stone slate roof:verge parapets and blue brick end stacks.

Mileplate on Earl's Drive, Dimmingsdale

A listed early 19th century (c1807) cast-iron mile plate set into a drystone wall on the former drive leading to Alton Towers from Threapwood Lodge. The mile plate gives the distance to Alton Abbey, the previous name for Alton Towers when lived in by the Shrewsbury family.

Our ref AL14/15

SK 04254325


Alton, Dimmingsdale, Oakamoor
Milk Hill Bowl Barrow

A bronze age round barrow, which may have been excavated in the 19th century. It is protected as a scheduled monument.


Waterhouses
Morridge Bowl Barrow Tittesworth

The earthwork remains of a small bowl barrow, which may have been one of a group of three barrows recorded in this area by Robert Plot in 1686. The barrow survives in good condition.


Tittesworth

Pages