Skip to content Skip to navigation

Man-made heritage

Gorstead Mill, Bradnop

A corn mill of probably early 19th century date. The mill is thought to have gone out of use in the late 1890s. Now a much altered private dwelling.


Bradnop
Great Froghall Plane

Originally a tramway,  an inclined plane almost 300 metres lomg with a stone wheelhouse situated at the top of the plain, now a public footpath.


Kingsley
Hanley Water Column

Railway Water Columns were once an everyday sight on railway stations up and down the UK, offering a source of water for steam locomotives to ensure they never ran out.

The Churnet Valley Railway's charitable support body the "North Staffordshire Railway Company (1978) Ltd" (NSRC) was able to acquire one of the original North Staffs columns from Hanely Station in Stoke-on-Trent which was located on the former Potteries Loop Line. This was moved to the charity's Cheddleton base where it was placed into store until sufficient funding was gained to re-erect it. 


Cheddleton
Harracles Hall, Longsdon

Small listed country house which may be linked to the Wedgwood family and was possibly constructed in the early 18th century. No public access


Longsdon
Hazlehurst Canal Junction

Canal junction in the Parish of Endon & Stanley access on a concessionary towpath.


Endon & Stanley
Heath House Lane Hollow Way Horton

Hollow way which now forms part of Heath House Lane Horton.


Horton
Heath House, Horton

A listed 17th century farmhouse of coursed stone construction with a slate roof. the two storey house is 'T' shaped in plan with a gabled brick wing to the rear.No public access.


Horton
Hollow Way Bradnop

The remains of a shallow Hollow Way to the east course of the main road. 


Bradnop
Horse tunnel

Plateway tunnel, used to maintain the line of the earlier plateway 1785 route under the 1847 route while it was being built


whiston
Horton Hall

A listed mid 17th century house of ashlar construction enclosing an earlier core to the building. No public access.


Horton

Pages