Skip to content Skip to navigation

Man-made heritage

Former Alton Tollhouse

19th century. Brick with slate roof, situated on Denstone Lane at Alton Gate.

SK08004159


Alton, Denstone
Former crossing-keepers cottage

Now privately owned, this house was formerly the railway-keepers cottage. It is painted in North Staffordshire Railway's colours.


Oakamoor, railway
Former Froghall Bridge

Former road bridge at Froghall, carrying the A52 over the River Churnet and the railway, replaced by the present bridge.The site of an earlier bridge shown on a map of 17th century bridges and roads in Staffordshire.


Kingsley
Former Ipstones Station

Ipstones railway station was a railway station that served the village of Ipstones, Staffordshire. It was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) in 1905 and closed to passenger use in 1935, but remained open to freight traffic until 1964.

The station site today is used as a run round loop for trains on the heritage Churnet Valley Railway, but proposals to reopen the station was opposed by the local Parish Council.

Former Winkhill Station

Winkhill railway station was a railway station that served the hamlet of Winkhill, Staffordshire. It was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) in 1910 and closed to passenger use in 1935, but remained open to freight traffic until 1964. It is now a private dwelling.

Four Canal Bridges on the Leek Arm of Caldon Canal

Listed early 19th century accomodation bridges spanning the Leek Branch of the Caldon Canal. 


Longsdon
Froghall Bridges

A pair of listed bridges crossing over the river and the railway at Froghall. The former is 18th century and the latter mid-19th century in date. They are thought to be on the location of an earlier 17th century bridge.


Kingsley
Froghall Lime Kilns

Listed early 19th century lime kilns of rock-faced sandstone, ashlar and brick construction overlooking Froghall Basin. The kilns have a massive retaining wall approximately 12 metres high by 50metres in length. The kilns form part of a group at the head of the Caldon Canal (built circa 1779), which includes a tramway terminus,warehouse and the canal itself, forming an industrial cluster of monuments. 


Kingsley
Froghall Mill

A waterpowered corn mill dated to 1825-now an auto-salvage office. The mill had 5 pairs of stones by 1833 and by this time was used for grinding colours for the pottery industry.


Kingsley
Froghall Wharf

Now a sleepy end to the Caldon Canal, this place was once the busy loading point for limestone brought down the tramways from the quarries at Cauldon Low

Helen sent us this reminiscence: I used to play in the Froghall Valley as a child, we used to walk along Hazles Cross Road in Kingsley Village, along the Sprink, past the old 'pop' factory and down the banks to Froghall.


Canal, Froghall

Pages