Skip to content Skip to navigation

Man-made heritage

Deep Hayes Reservoir

In 1847 because of a poor water supply to the growing population of the Potteries, the Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company was formed. It constructed works in 1848 at Wall Grange which included taking water from a spring at Ceres (St. Caena) well (up to 1.5 million gallons a day) and the building of Deep Hayes Reservoir to compensate the River Churnet for the loss of this water which served several mills downstream. The source of water from Wall Grange in 1849 became the first principal supply for Hanley, Burslem and Tunstall.


Country Parks, Deep Hayes
Dimmingsdale

Owned by the Forestry Commission, Dimmingsdale is a very popular walking, riding and bouldering area.

The landscape of Dimmingsdale has been shaped by the 15th century smelting industry and later by the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury, who built Alton Towers.

Vehicle access and parking is along Red Road, next to the Ramblers Retreat tea room and gardens.

Walking, riding and cycling access is via Staffordshire Way and over Lords Bridge on Churnet Way (Oakamoor to Denstone via Alton station)


Alton, Dimmingsdale, Oakamoor
Dimmingsdale ponds

This is a series of fishing ponds thought to have been established in the late 18th or early 19th century. 

This is a SSSI open access area.

 

Please add your photos of this place to the site.

Map location: SK05134316


Dimmingsdale, Oakamoor
Drum plinths

These large stone foundations used to belong to the "drum" that was used with the endless steel rope to pull the empty carts of the 1847 rack railway back up the inclined plateway with the weight of the full carts going down.

Dunwood Milepost Longsdon

A listed early 19th century cast iron milepost, which gives distances to Leek, Newcastle and Burslem.


Longsdon
Egg Well Bradnop

A 20th Century brick building, covering the ancient well


Bradnop
Enclosure, Revedge Farm, Bradnop

A circular walled enclosure, possibly used for keeping stock, which was extant by the late 19th century.


Bradnop
Entrance gate Piers to Ashenhurst Bradnop

Entrance gate Piers to Ashenhust Bradnop.


Bradnop
Finger post, Consall

1930's finger post. Moved from Consall village when SCC removed old style finger posts in 1960s.

SJ999490


Consall
Flood lock, Uttoxeter Canal

Former canal lock on the now disused Uttoxeter Canal.

2017 there are volunteer work parties led by Caldon & Uttoxeter Canal Trust to preserve these heritage features.

Not listed.

SK093424


Uttoxeter Canal

Pages