Skip to content Skip to navigation

Canal

Changeover Bridge 52

The Caldon Canal opened in 1778 between Froghall and Etruria where it joined the Trent & Mersey Canal. Limestone, coal and materials from the Potteries were carried in narrow boats towed by horses.

When the railway was constructed in the 1840s, in order to provide space for the trackbed in the very narrow section of the valley, it was necessary to divert some sections of the canal between Froghall and Consall Forge. A new canal channel was dug closer to the steep-sided wooded valley and the towpath was also relocated to the side away from the railway.

Froghall Wharf

Now a sleepy end to the Caldon Canal, this place was once the busy loading point for limestone brought down the tramways from the quarries at Cauldon Low

Helen sent us this reminiscence: I used to play in the Froghall Valley as a child, we used to walk along Hazles Cross Road in Kingsley Village, along the Sprink, past the old 'pop' factory and down the banks to Froghall.

Bridge 70

Bridge 70 is the only remaining intact original bridge on the Uttoxeter Canal.The bridge was built around 1809 and used as part of the navigable canal until 1849. Since closure the bridge had become hidden by increasingly dense woodland but continued to server a purpose as water still flows underneath it. Public footpaths 40 and 43 run over the bridge.

Cherry Eye Bridge

The bridge is named after a condition of ironstone miners' eyes, from the redness caused by rubbing them with ore-stained hands. The Cherry Eye ironstone wuarry site was near to this bridge.

The unusual shape of the bridge is thought to have been done for aesthetic reasons, to placate the local landowner when the canal was built.

Crumpwood Weir

Crumpwood Weir was built between 1807 and 1811 to take the Uttoxeter Canal across the River Churnet. Boats dropped through the nearby Carrington's Lock to join the river before being pulled across the top of the weir and back into the canal via Churnet Flood Lock on the south side. This lock was normally left open but had double sets of gates, as water levels could be lower or higher on the river than on the next section of canal towards Denstone.

Subscribe to RSS - Canal