Skip to content Skip to navigation


Hanley Water Column

Railway Water Columns were once an everyday sight on railway stations up and down the UK, offering a source of water for steam locomotives to ensure they never ran out.

The Churnet Valley Railway's charitable support body the "North Staffordshire Railway Company (1978) Ltd" (NSRC) was able to acquire one of the original North Staffs columns from Hanely Station in Stoke-on-Trent which was located on the former Potteries Loop Line. This was moved to the charity's Cheddleton base where it was placed into store until sufficient funding was gained to re-erect it. 

St Edwards Hospital

Also known as Cheddleton County Mental Asylum, St Edwards Hospital was opened in 1899 by Staffordshire County Council to hold up to 600 mental health patients.

The grounds were landscaped and hundreds of trees were planted. The Asylum was a community in itself with its own bakery, butchers, vegetable gardens, sports ground and burial ground. There was an active social calendar for employees and patients.

Subscribe to RSS - Cheddleton